Parksmart is the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter parking structure design and operation. Developed by industry experts, Parksmart offers a roadmap for new and existing parking facilities to use innovative, solutions-oriented strategies. Points are awarded to parking structures for forward-thinking and sustainable practices in three categories: management, programs and technology structure design.
Parksmart garages use energy-efficient lighting and ventilation systems, guidance systems that help drivers find parking faster, idle-reduction technologies, electric vehicle fueling stations, carsharing, bicycle parking and stormwater management practices. The high-performance structures, technologies and practices of Parksmart-certified garages reduce energy consumption, maximize performance and minimize waste, and they encourage biking, carsharing, carpooling and alternative fuel vehicles.
Bank of America Plaza
Los Angeles, California
Operator: ABM Parking Services
The 2,128-space Bank of America Plaza Garage serves a 55-story oﬃce tower in downtown Los Angeles. Situated on a four-acre site with a lush garden and open seating area, this facility serves as a hub for the surrounding community. Energy-eﬃcient lighting and ventilation systems and green cleaning practices contribute to this facility’s low-impact operations. The garage’s low-emitting vehicle spaces, bicycle parking amenities and electric vehicle fueling stations all allow patrons to easily take advantage of more sustainable transportation options.
- Over 125 percent oversell of spaces through shared parking program
- Over 50 percent of garage waste diverted from landﬁll
- Over 60 percent of labor for most recent construction project was from local sources
- Placemaking initiatives include a farmers market and arts and music events
- Two hybrid carshare vehicles are available for patron use
- 100 bicycle parking spaces are available for patron use
Technology structure design highlights:
- 10 Level 2 charging ports available for patrons
- 65 CO sensors ensure ventilation only runs when needed
- Lighting ﬁxtures controlled by advanced programmable system