Parksmart is the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter parking structure design and operation. Developed by industry experts, Parksmart offers a roadmap for new and existing parking facilities to use innovative, solutions-oriented strategies. Points are awarded to parking structures for forward-thinking and sustainable practices in three categories: management, programs and technology structure design.
Parksmart garages use energy-efficient lighting and ventilation systems, guidance systems that help drivers find parking faster, idle-reduction technologies, electric vehicle fueling stations, car sharing, bicycle parking and stormwater management practices. The high-performance structures, technologies and practices of Parksmart-certified garages reduce energy consumption, maximize performance and minimize waste, and encourage biking, car sharing, carpooling and alternative fuel vehicles.
Westpark Corporate Center
Tysons Corner, Virginia
Property manager: JLL
Westpark Corporate Center garage in Tysons Corner, Virginia, is an enclosed, below-grade, ﬁve-level parking structure with 1,486 spaces, supporting a 500,000-square-foot oﬃce park project of two nine-story buildings. As a community with nine times the number of parking spaces as it has people seeks to transform itself into a more walkable, pedestrian-friendly neighborhood, Westpark’s parking program leads by example.
- Restaurant- and oﬃce-shared parking program, with demand-responsive pricing
- Proactive operational maintenance is integrated into a strong building maintenance program
- Garage commissioning veriﬁed eﬃciency of mechanical and electrical systems
- Active transportation demand management in heavily congested region, including ridesharing, public maps and regular public information as mass transit system is built out.
- Six Level 2 electric vehicle charging stations oﬀered free of charge. EV drivers enjoy 20 percent rate discount
- Carpool and vanpool promotion with 30 designated spaces. Discounted 50-percent-off rate for carpools and free parking for vanpools. Program integrated into access control system to easily allow a choice of carpool vehicles on a single account.
Technology structure design highlights:
- High-eﬃciency, ﬂuorescent lighting retroﬁt produces quality lighting with reduced energy consumption
- Over 75 percent of lighting ﬁxtures controlled by occupancy sensors
- Compliance with Green Globe Stormwater Management criteria