Parksmart is the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter parking structure design and operation. Developed by industry experts, Parksmart offers a roadmap for new and existing parking facilities to use innovative, solutions-oriented strategies. Points are awarded to parking structures for forward-thinking and sustainable practices in three categories: management, programs and technology structure design.
Parksmart garages utilize energy-efficient lighting and ventilation systems, guidance systems that help drivers find parking faster, idle-reduction technologies, electric vehicle fueling stations, car sharing, bicycle parking and storm water management practices. The high-performance structures, technologies and practices of Parksmart certified garages reduce energy consumption, maximize performance, and minimize waste, and encourage biking, car sharing, carpooling and alternative fuel vehicles.
BG Group Place
Owner: BG HOLDCO LLC
Wrapped in a glass façade and vegetative roof, the 1,118-space BG group place brought Class A, sustainable development to a downtown Houston block. Energy-eﬃcient lighting and ventilation technologies and a condensate recovery system reduce the property’s resource consumption, while nearby bicycle sharing and metro rail access provide commuters with a variety of transportation options.
- Over 30 percent of garage waste diverted from landﬁll
- Proactive operational maintenance manual ensures facility longevity
- Garage commissioning veriﬁed eﬃciency of mechanical and electrical systems
- 56 spaces reserved for low-emitting and fuel eﬃcient vehicles
- Creative locator cards educate patrons on facility’s sustainability attributes
- Parkers oﬀered access to local bicycle sharing program
Technology structure design highlights:
- Green roof reduces heat island eﬀect and mitigates stormwater runoﬀ
- AVI technology reduces idling on entrance and egress
- CO sensors ensure ventilation runs only as needed