Parksmart is the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter parking structure design and operation. Developed by industry experts, Parksmart offers a roadmap for new and existing parking facilities to use innovative, solutions-oriented strategies. Points are awarded to parking structures for forward-thinking and sustainable practices in three categories: management, programs and technology structure design.
Parksmart garages use energy-efficient lighting and ventilation systems, guidance systems that help drivers find parking faster, idle-reduction technologies, electric vehicle fueling stations, car sharing, bicycle parking and storm water management practices. The high-performance structures, technologies and practices of Parksmart-certified garages reduce energy consumption, maximize performance and minimize waste, as well as encourage biking, car sharing, carpooling and alternative fuel vehicles.
Canopy Airport Parking
Commerce City, Colorado
Owner: Parking Acquisition Ventures
Operator: Propark America
Airport Parking placed sustainability in the center of its development and construction. Recycled construction materials, commissioning, energy-eﬃcient ﬁxtures and responsible construction waste management were among the strategies employed at this location near the airport. Since completing construction in 2010, the facility has built upon its green foundation to embrace sustainable operations and programming with a variety of initiatives, including recycling, alternative fuel shuttles and educational programs.
- Over 75 percent of construction waste was diverted from landﬁll
- Over 40 percent of the construction materials were recycled
- Garage commissioning veriﬁed eﬃciency of mechanical and electrical systems
- Online reservations reduce patron circling
- 160 spaces reserved for low-emitting and fuel-eﬃcient vehicles
- Anti-idling payment system integrated with highway “fastpass” transponder
Technology structure design highlights:
- 8 electric vehicle charging stations available to patrons at no charge
- High SRI rooﬁng materials reduces head island eﬀect
- Solar array and 8 wind turbines provide clean, renewable energy canopy